Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Being a Mom

Weston Michael arrived on 2/21/10 at 1:29pm after 7 hours of labor.  Yes, it was quick, but it was mighty painful.  He weighed 6lbs 10 oz and was 20.5 inches long.  I'll try to write the delivery story sometime soon, though who knows when because its apparently really hard being a Mom.  I know that's common knowledge, but I have no energy or desire to do ANYTHING at all.  I don't want to answer my phone, I don't want to get on the Internet, I don't want to watch TV, I don't want to do anything at all.

I've been very lucky on many fronts.  First, Weston is a great baby.  I say that even though he has been quite fussy today, he seems to have a tummy problem right now, but I believe that is normal.  Second, my husband stayed home with me all last week, which was a life saver.  Third, my Mom is staying with me all this week, which is another life saver!  I'm actually dreading next week when I'm with him alone, though I've heard that is also a common fear of new Moms.

We ended up staying at the hospital until Tuesday because he has a thing called stridor, he became jaundiced, and he had low blood sugar when he was born.  In order to save us money (since we have no insurance) we did a thing called rooming in where they let us stay for free, but I lost all nursing care once that happened.  Let me tell you, I definitely preferred having the nursing care.  I hated the other side of the hospital and I felt very alone.  It was quite depressing, so I was very happy to leave Tuesday.

We took him to the doctor on Thursday to check his bilirubin levels for his jaundice and it was at 14.7, so they had us come back on Friday to have them checked again, which they had then gone down to 13.  My poor boy has been poked in the foot SO much.  He had to have his blood sugar tested before he ate from Sunday to Monday, and then of course the blood tests to check his bilirubin levels.  I have to take him to get his 2nd newborn screen this Friday and then to his 2 week checkup...I am looking forward to neither.  Luckily my Mom will be with me to help me.

I really love being his Mom, he's an awesome baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment